Sunday, April 18, 2010

Blog #11 - Mr. Mac’s Chinese Administrative Exchange Initiative

Saturday, April 17, 2010

I am waiting to board a plane to Changchun City and have a few minutes to jot some items of interest down.

As we were returning today from the Temple of Heavens, we passed a procession that our guide, who is approximately fifty years old had not ever seen. There was a bridal “parade” marching down the street. Its members were dressed in traditional Chinese wedding costumes. The parade members consisted of two dragons leading, musicians playing a variety of instruments, four people carrying the bride sitting in a colorful box (like the Egyptian queens used to be carried) on their shoulder, and what I assumed was the wedding party and family members with some people at the end with colorful balloons. The costumes were very bright and colorful. They were all having what seemed to be a great time and I will be getting some video to Mr. Hartmann (thanks to him for setting this form of communication up and keeping it updated!).

I have been in China since April 7 and there are so many experiences I have been privileged to be a part of in areas of education (from American educators and Chinese educators) and culture. I am going to list some of my thoughts to give you a glimpse of some of my experiences in developing relationships with other educators and the diversity of the country to which I have been exposed. Some impressions are:
1. The Chinese culture is a blend of very traditional and modern thoughts and beliefs
2. The people that I have dealt with as I have explored different areas of China are very polite and hospitable
3. There are a lot of people in China. 1.3 billion and it is noticeable in traveling around the country that the transportation system is crowded in some areas. Moving people on a daily basis is a huge task.
4. There is construction everywhere. I have seen modern equipment but more often than not the laborers have equipment that was used many years ago for smaller jobs
5. The mix of the old and new buildings is interesting. Beijing has some ancient buildings but also many (business, apartments and condos) that are glass and steel.
6. Although I have heard there were many more just five years ago, there are a lot of bicycles, motor scooters and carts pushed or pulled by motorbikes or people.
7. There are innumerable tour buses throughout the areas I have been
8. In two of the three cities I have visited thus far, there are hundreds of trees and shrubs that look like they have been planted in recent years (maybe in preparation for the 2008 Olympics?)
9. In two of the three cities I have visited I have hardly heard any sirens. This seems unique with the number of people living there.
10. There are differences in education but there are also a many of similarities in the areas:
a. Funding
b. Equity
c. Curriculum
d. Workforce
e. Professional development
f. Student behaviors

PUMAS remember to follow the Simple Six.. Doing what is right is never wrong!