Thursday, April 8, 2010

Blog #1- Mr. Mac’s Chinese Administrative Exchange Initiative

April 7, 2010

My wife, Lori, was gracious enough to leave the house at 5:30 AM this morning and ride with me to the Louisville airport. I needed to get to the airport two hours early to get checked in because it takes longer with the security being beefed up at the airports since 9/11. I flew from Louisville to Chicago (one hour and five minutes) and then flew non-stop to Beijing (12 hours and twenty five minutes). Because we pass the international dateline, we “lose” one day. My twelve-hour flight really costs me twenty-five hours in time on my watch. After arriving in Beijing we will have a layover of four hours and then we will fly to the Xiang province, in the middle of the country (kind of where Kansas is located in the USA). So, my flight from Louisville left Wednesday at 10:00 AM and we arrived at our hotel on Thursday evening at 11:15 PM. Whew!

The security in the all of the airports was extremely tight. In China, we went through three checkpoints and had my picture taken twice. I attempted to take a picture at the customs area and a security person very quickly waved me off from taking pictures in that area. At the airport we ate as a group and were served a traditional Chinese. The meal had five different types of noodles and meat with each being a bit spicier than the first round. We were also served dumplings and eggrolls. Water is not served with meals unless it is requested. Then, it is advised to drink bottled water only. But, hot water is served with your meal if requested as well as tea. I bet Mr. Hartmann would like the restaurant here more than he enjoys El Charro!!

There are 40 administrators here with my group for the next week. They are mostly Superintendents, about half, and the rest are principals, assistant principals and teachers. It is a very diversified group. This group of educators represents the states of Indiana, Rhode Island, Wisconsin, Ohio, Massachusetts. They are a nice group and I look forward to discussing with them different things they are doing at their schools that can help us increase student achievement at HPSA!

While we were walking to our last flight in the Beijing airport, get this, I saw the TALLEST man in the WORLD! This gentleman must have been at least 8’6” tall and he apparently was going somewhere by plane. He was absolutely huge! He easily could have reached up and touched the TOP of the SQUARE on a basketball goal. Students, look up where the tallest man in the world lives and you will find he is from China. I have a picture I will send and hopefully it will come through the email. That was really something.

When we arrive at our hotel in the city of Xian, it was 11:15 PM local time or about 10:15 AM Evansville time. The city of Xian is called the “Birthplace of China”. There have been many Dynasties that had their beginnings here and the city wall is centuries old. The ruler of the Terra Cotta soldiers who also commissioned the Great Wall to be built, had his beginnings here. Hopefully I will be able to send some pictures for you to view as I will be getting a first hand look at the incredible historical beginnings of the Chinese culture and people. Thanks to Mr. Hartmann for all his working in setting up this blog and getting the material for you to view. PUMA students…work hard in school and remember the Simple Six!